This book Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing is written by Dr. Janice L Hinkle, and Kerry H. Cheever. Medical-surgical nursing has advanced significantly since 1964 but continues to be heavily influenced by the expansion of a host of other disciplines and new technological developments, as well as myriad social, cultural, economic, and environmental changes throughout the world. In today’s environment, nurses must be particularly adept at critical thinking and clinical decision-making, as well as consulting and collaborating with other members of the multidisciplinary healthcare team.
When caring for patients, nurses take on many different roles, including clinicians, educators, advocates, and researchers. Many of the features in this textbook have been developed to help nurses fulfill these various roles. Key updates to practice-oriented features in the 14th Edition include new unit opening case studies with QSEN Competency Focus, a feature highlighting a competency from the Institute for Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) that it is applicable to the case study and poses questions for students to consider about relevant knowledge, skills, and attitudes (KSAs). Nursing Alerts for Quality and Safety, Genetics in Nursing Practice Tables, Ethical Dilemma Tables, and Home Care Checklists offer up-to-date formats and information.
|Book Name||Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing|
|Author of Book||Dr. Janice L Hinkle, Kerry H. Cheever|
Overview of Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing
Very easy to read and rich in engaging case studies and learning tools, the Brunner & Suddarth Medical-Surgical Nursing Textbook, 14th Edition provides the comprehensive nursing foundation students need in a format designed to the way they like to learn. This accessible text is accompanied by captions, questions, and vignettes to help students explore essential patient care practices in real-world terms and gain a more practical understanding of how they will apply what they have learned in practice.
Trusted by instructors, students, and nurse practitioners for more than 50 years, the 14th edition of this landmark resource has been comprehensively updated to reflect the latest research and practice and keep pace with the transition from critical care to advanced care. domiciliary, ethics, and genetics. . Full integration with Lippincott’s CoursePoint allows you to easily map out the entire course, provide personalized remediation for students, and simulate real-world nursing scenarios based directly on bullet points in the text, giving your students unparalleled preparation for success. in the medical-surgical nursing workforce.
- New chapter on evaluation and management of patients with obesity that includes expanded content on gastric and duodenal disorders.
- New interdisciplinary features in each chapter. Nursing students should be educated in an environment that provides interdisciplinary educational experiences based on mutual understanding and respect and designed to enhance the practice of each discipline.
- The EXTENDED Immunodeficiency chapter includes up-to-date content on HIV infection and AIDS.
- UPDATED The following units have been revised Immune Function, Digestive and Gastrointestinal Function, and Metabolic and Endocrine Function.
- Concept Mastery Alerts clarify difficult concepts, informed by data from Misconception Alerts questions in PrepU for Brunner & Suddarth’s Medical-Surgical Nursing Textbook, 12e.
- The Quality and Safety Nursing Alerts build on the previous edition’s Nursing Alerts to highlight issues related to quality and safety nursing care.
- UPDATED Unit starts to include new QSEN competency-focused case studies to highlight a competency and related knowledge, skills, and attitudes. Additional information for these case studies related to NANDA-I, NIC, NOC, and the nursing process is available online.
- Prioritization questions were added to the critical thinking exercises.
- The Genetics Charts and Ethical Dilemma Charts have been revised to reflect the latest developments in the field.
- Critical care information has been updated to further the authors’ goal of having the most up-to-date and clinically relevant critical care content throughout the book.
- The table of contents has been reorganized for a more logical flow and sequence.
- Nursing Process Sections, Nursing Care Plans, and Critical Care Sections
- Over 2,900 NCLEX-style review questions
- Assessment Charts, Risk Factor Charts, Guideline Charts, Genetics in Nursing Practice Charts, Patient Education Charts, Health Promotion Charts, Ethics, and Related Topics Charts, and Pharmacology Charts and Tables.
- Updated gerontology considerations, physiology/pathophysiology figures, and home care checklists sections
- Nursing research profiles and EBP questions help students learn the importance of evidence-based practice.
- Concepts in Action Animations bring concepts from anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology to life.
Topics of this Edition